Thursday, January 15, 2009

Khalid vs Khir ------Part II

Ooooi bila nak habis?

Lexus is my own, says Khalid

insidepix1

SHAH ALAM: It's Mercedes vs Lexus. Datuk Seri Dr Khir Toyo versus Tan Sri Abdul Khalid Ibrahim.

Yesterday, Dr Khir denied approving the purchase of a Mercedes S350L worth almost RM1 million for his personal use, using Kumpulan Darul Ehsan Berhad's (KDEB) funds when he was Selangor menteri besar.

He then questioned why Khalid had not stopped KDEB from buying another luxury car, a Lexus 460, also worth almost RM1 million for Khalid's use as the new chairman of the company after Khalid became the menteri besar.

"I have never approved the purchase (of the Mercedes). The KDEB board of directors bought the car for the use of its chairman to entertain the company's overseas clients.

"I never asked KDEB to purchase the car for my personal use and have never used it. That's why no one has seen me using the car."
Dr Khir was responding to a press statement by Khalid's political secretary Nik Nazmi Nik Ahmad on Tuesday that he had approved the purchase of the Mercedes for his exclusive use and the state government had to bear the extravagant cost.

"He questioned the Mercedes which was purchased four years ago. Why didn't he, as the new chairman object to the purchase of the Lexus?" questioned Dr Khir.

He said the Lexus should not have been bought as the Mercedes was still in very good condition as it was rarely used, especially in light of the economic situation.

"Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim promised there would be no new cars or office renovation during a gathering in conjunction with 100 days' of Pakatan Rakyat being in office.

"Why go against his orders, or was Anwar lying?"

In an immediate response, Khalid denied the purchase of the Lexus by KDEB.

He said the state-owned company had not bought a new car for its chairman.

"The Lexus I'm using now is my own which I bought with my own money before the election and I don't even need to use the state car. I think it is stupid to make such a statement; it is a cheap statement."

Khalid is currently using a Lexus RX350 which he bought in July 2007.

"People knew that I'd been using the car when I was campaigning in Ijok and Bandar Tun Razak. How can KDEB be nice enough to give me the car even before I was the menteri besar?

"He (Dr Khir) should check his facts first. I have no intention to abuse my power as KDEB chairman."

No comments: